Sunday, October 11, 2009

Show Time



Hi, I have been having an artistic block. I thought I'd lost my ability to do anything worth showing here. Does anyone else have this sort of trouble? The last couple of pieces I can't even post because they turned out so abysmally. I was beginning to think that I should stop wasting my time. Then I started this piece. It was though it painted itself. I had a clear visual about what I wanted from the start. I kept my colour pallete very limited and I whipped this piece up. It happened so quickly, like with a good book, I felt that I had completed it too quickly.

This piece is from the Royal Melbourne show. I went with my son and some friends on a beautiful spring day. Luckily we did go this particular day as it rained the rest of the week. I think I have captured the fun and excitement of the crowd and the complexities of what was happening.

9 comments:

Catherine Jeffrey said...

I'm familiar with that feeling when you feel that you didn't spend enough time on the painting even though it came together so easily. I've noticed when that happens, its usually because there were several good things going on...composition, good values, and a subject that you like or enjoy. The picture actually paints itself!
This picture turned out so well because the colors are vibrant and add to the excitement and drama of the day. The people receding from front to back, and the eye finishing at the Ferris wheel makes for a great composition. It also looks as though you had a great time that day. Sometimes I wish that we could capture that magic with every picture! I guess slump was worth it.

magicmyst said...

Thanks Catherine, it is good to know that even artists like you are familiar with these sort of problems. Kay

Wendi. S. said...

I've had that feeling for months !!!!!!!!!!
This one has turned out Great Kay. Youre back on board !!

Holly Zemak said...

You have no idea how many half finished pieces I have set aside. My biggest problem starts when I work on a larger piece, so when I hear someone else talking about having a block I am almost relieved. Sometimes it is a bad composition and the piece cannot be saved. Or, also as you progress to the next level the struggle shows up in the pieces that do not make it. Than one piece falls into place as the skills keep improving. And it is always good to keep challenging ourselves. You hit the nail on the head with this piece with both the subject and the color.

magicmyst said...

Thanks Wendi and Holly, I feel I am in great company. Kay

Jez said...

This looks great Kay, you are really good at portraying depth!

magicmyst said...

Thankyou Jade.

Carlos Casu said...

Very nice way to work in pastel. I like your paintings.
Best regards.
Carlos

magicmyst said...

Thanks Carlos